Knit Happens

Monday, July 24, 2006

Felted bag- the first

A friend at work saw a bag I had felted earlier this summer, and asked if I would make one for her. There were a number of technique-y things I didn't care for in the original pattern, but I was pretty sure I could come up with an overall bag that looked like the original, but was more comfortable for the way I knit. She was very excited, and immediately asked how much I would charge for it, even before I had cast on a single stitch! Upon getting specifications regarding size, colors, etc. I embarked on the following:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The bag is from Patons Classic Merino in Natural Marl and Chesnut Brown, almost entirely in stockinette stitch (except for the i-cord small handles, a bit of garter at the tops of each piece, and whipstitching around the base to give it a bit of definition before felting).

Based on how it turned out, I came up with some variations on the bag to make various sizes and include some closure options. As I tweak my pieces, I've been writing down the developing patterns. My friend has kept her bag on display in her office for almost a week in an attempt to entice people to commission bags from me, so I've unofficially named the bag after her. I've already gotten a request from someone who wants to see the purse that is progress before giving me specs for her own custom bag. So this may be the first step to designing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home